5. “Mercedes-Benz” by Janis Joplin vs. Mercedes-Benz
It looks like the car execs missed the point on Janis’ satirical take on materialism.
4. “Walk On The Wild Side” by Lou Reed vs. Honda Scooters
A two-fer! Ol’ Lou scores bonus points by also licencing this one out to HP. Nicely played!
3. “Venus In Furs” by The Velvet Underground vs. Dunlop Tires
More Lou Reed! “Tested For The Unexpected” was the tagline for this 1993 ad. They got that right with this incredibly unexpected use of the Velvets art-rock track.
2. “Pressure Drop” by The Clash vs. Nissan
“The only band that matters” really went rogue for this 2007 Nissan ad.
1. “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson vs. Pepsi
OK, this one was actually pretty cool.
[Photo: Getty Images]