The Coolest Moments
5. Left Eye made condoms the coolest fashion accessory. In the group’s first music video (for “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg”), TLC promoted safe sex by turning condoms into a fashion accessory. It was a playful approach to a thoughtful message and gave us the Left Eye’s iconic condom eye patch.
4. The girls made self-esteem cool. Way before Katy Perry Lady Gaga, TLC was leading the charge of promoting a positive self-image with the “Unpretty,” the second official single from FanMail.
3. The group’s final performance together at MTV 20. Little did anyone know this would be the final time the group would ever perform live together. Regardless of that, the performance was one of the highlights of the night.
2. TLC returned with FanMail. After waiting years for a follow up to CrazySexyCool, the group finally released a new album immediately returned to the top of charts.
1. TLC morphed in “Waterfalls” music video. The group took advantage of new video technology to morph into one of the coolest music videos during the height of MTV’s video era. The song would go on to win VMAs including Video Of The Year.
[Photos: Getty, Vibe Magazine]