JESSIE RUBIN, Social Media Coordinator (@_jrubin)
1. Bastille, “Pompeii”
2. Lorde, “Royals”
3. Miley Cyrus, “We Can’t Stop”
4. Local Natives, “Heavy Feet”
5. The National, “I Should Live In Salt”
10. Frank Ocean feat. Earl Sweatshirt, “Super Rich Kids” — Frank’s funked up “Bennie and the Jets” beat added extra oomph to the closing credits of this summer’s The Bling Ring.
9. Ariana Grande feat. Big Sean, “Right There” — Mariah Carey better watch her back! 20-year-old Broadway trained actress is packing some serious pipes. This is the stuff pop-dreams are made of.
8. Mayer Hawthorne, “Her Favorite Song” — This was the summer of yacht rock; slick, stylized, over-produced pop with jazz harmonies (think Steely Dan, Hall and Oats, Toto). “Get Lucky” was good, but this single from Detroit’s favorite throwback is better.
7. CHVRCHES, “The Mother We Share” — This trio from Scotland served us up a delicious slice of synth pop with this cut. The glorious crystalline-vocals are provided courtesy of the talented and totally crushable Lauren Mayberry.
6. Eminem, “Berzerk” — He’s back, he’s pissed, and we wouldn’t have him any other way! Producer maestro Rick Rubin called upon his past with with the Beastie Boys to turn Slim Shady’s return into a much rockier affair.
5. Beyonce, “Partition” — The Queen caught us off guard with her surprise album just in time for the holidays. There are many jewels in her crown, but this ode to getting it on in the backseat of a vintage limo is definitely a favorite.
4. Lorde, “Royals” — We’re probably the millionth person to put this song on their 2013 Top-Ten list, but we couldn’t get enough of the 17-year-old’s deep-beyond-her years weaving her dark lyrics like a spell…or the world’s most sinister jump-roping chant.
3. Zedd (featuring Foxes), “Clarity”— We’re admittedly newbs to the EDM scene, but this life-afferming anthem makes us wish we were in the middle of a leaping crowd of glow-stick-wearing festival-goers.
2. Robin Thicke (featuring T.I., Pharrell), “Blurred Lines” — It was inescapable for a reason. Sure the lyrics are suspect, and the beat might be ripping off a Marvin Gaye song. But we don’t care. This song ruled the summer, and it just plain rules in general.
1. Kanye West, “Bound 2″ — Don’t let the completely bonkers video ruin it for you, this track adds proof to Yeezy’s claim that he is (one of) the most influential artists today. Fun Fact: The “Uh-huh, honey” is Brenda Lee, best known for singing “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree.”