* Amy Winehouse has been a denied a visa and will not be attending this Sunday’s Grammy Awards. The singer, who recently entered rehab and was planning on attending the ceremony, will perform via satellite. ?I?m really sorry I can?t be there but I appreciate that I?m being given a second chance via satellite,? Amy told UsWeekly.
* Hayley Williams and her band Paramore are headed to the Grammys, but don’t think they’ll forsake their punk roots and go glam for the event: “We?ve never worked with a stylist before, so this is a different world from what we?re used to. We don?t want to abandon our background — like I come out there wearing a gown. We?re going to have fun with it.” Williams thinks the band, up for the Best New Artist Grammy, has a shot at winning. “It?s possible we could win — we made it this far.”
* Kanye West, up for eight nominations at Sunday night’s award show, is planning an emotional tribute to his mother, who died this past November due to complications from plastic surgery. Ye will perform “Stronger” and “Hey Mama.”
* After paying tribute to ’80s smashes by New Order and Michael Jackson on his year’s multi-single-spawning release Good Girl Gone Bad, Rihanna will perform with The Time, who you might remember as Prince‘s musical competition in Purple Rain. The band, formerly led by Morris Day, will be reuniting for the occasion. Let’s hope they do “Umbrella,” (originally written for a certain out-of-control pop star).
Be back here on Sunday night at 8 p.m., where we’ll be dishing on all the performances.
From the Department of Awkward Meetings: At last night’s Gucci party, Madonna brought along daugther Lourdes. Also in attendance was Lenny Kravitz‘s daughter Zoe from his relationship with Lisa Bonet. Just two celebrity progeny attending the same party. Nothing to see here, right? Wrong. Back in 1990, Lenny teamed up with Madonna to write “Justify My Love,” and allegedly, they decided to do a little justifying of their own. Lenny took a break from Bonet for Madge, meaning that Zoe was confronted with the woman who effectively ended her parents’ relationship last night.
Zoe’s not the only person who might have a problem with Madge and Len’s relationship. Just two years ago, Madonna’s husband Guy Ritchie dragged Madonna off the dancefloor when she was seen getting down with Lenny.
Think you know everything about Christina? Want to defend your title as the biggest Justin fan there is? Do you know Beyonce‘s songs backward and forward? Well we’ve got a game for you. With all the fantastic nominees in this year’s crop of Grammy artists, we want to test your knowledge on how well you know the nominated singers and their songs. See if you can match all the lyrics to the artists above. Stumped? Check out our lyrics site for help. Answers after the jump. PS: Be here on Sunday night at 8 pm. We’re live-blogging the Grammys show and want you to comment on the action.
* “Should’ve known better when you came around/ That you were gonna make me cry.”
* “Sweet reunion Jamaica and Spain/ We’re like how we were again/ I’m in the tub, you on the seat/ Lick your lips as I soak my feet.”
* “Haters, start your engines, I hear ‘em gearin’ up/ People talk so much sh*t about me at barbershops/ They forget to get their haircut.”
* “So since I’m not your everything/ How about I’ll be nothing, nothing at all to you/ Baby I won’t shed a tear for you, I won’t lose a wink of sleep.”
* “I know you’ve got your reasons/ Hey let’s call it even/ Turn out all the lights/ And go to bed.”
* “Old teenage hopes/ Are alive at your door/ Left you with nothing/ But they want some more.”
* “There’s nothing I wouldn’t do to have just one more chance/ To look into our eyes and see you looking back.”
* “I can’t give up your love without dying baby/ I’ll wait until the sea is dry baby/ How do we know what love is/ Until it is free?”
* “How’s your life? It’s been a while/ God it’s good to see you smile/ I see you reachin’ for your keys/ Lookin’ for a reason not to leave.”
* “Stood on the corner for a while/ To wait for the wind to blow down on me/ Hoping it takes with it my old ways/ And brings some brand new luck upon me.”
Is she or isn’t she? Today, Amy Winehouse‘s rep confirmed to UsWeekly that Winehouse, despite reports she’s entered rehab, will be performing at this Sunday’s Grammy awards. The singer, nominated in a whopping six categories — including record of the year, album of the year and song of the year — checked into a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility on January 24th, following the release of shocking footage showing an obviously high Winehouse smoking crack.
To find out more about Winehouse’s sadly ironic song “Rehab,” check out our in-depth analysis on a hit that was created from an off-hand comment and a couple of hours. We’ve also got plenty of interesting info on Winehouse and her competition.
Have we got a treat for you: a full day before VH1 airs Christina Aguilera‘s action-packed Back to Basics live concert (complete with 10 costume changes, stilt-walking dancers and 820 pounds of confetti), we’re giving you a taste of what to expect. In the above clip, the Lady in White tears up the stage with her performance of “Ain’t No Other Man.” “I don’t think it would be fair to my audience to just sit on the stage with a mic,” Aguilera told us before her tour kicked off last February. Tune in to VH1 tomorrow at 10 pm to get the total Christina experience.
Christina Aguilera Artist Page
Watch all of her music videos & interviews in Box Set!
Rock Star Lesson No. 6: Don’t keep drugs on your tour bus. Unfortunately, Lil Wayne had to learn that one the hard way. The prolific rapper’s tour bus was pulled over in Yuma, Arizona late last night when border patrol officials found a .40-caliber pistol, 105 grams of marijuana, 29 grams of cocaine, 41 grams of ecstasy and various drug paraphernalia. The DEA was immediately called, and Lil Wayne (real name Dwayne Carter) was taken into custody and charged with possession of cocaine and ecstasy. Two associates of Wayne’s were also arrested.
This is Carter’s third arrest in four months; previously he was taken into custody on weapons charges in New York, and for an outstanding warrant in Idaho.
Another day, another name for Diddy. The artist formerly known as P. Diddy, Puff Daddy, and J. Lo’s boyfriend has decided to go by Sean John, his birth name, for the foreseeable future. ?I have always evolved and taken a different name each time. Right now I want to be Sean John because that?s where I am right now,? said the remix inventor, according to the Daily Star. So what could this mean for the many-monikered rapper? A new album? Another cologne? Sean John might be preparing his new image for his brand new reality television show.
Listen up, lambs! Mariah‘s back with a new album, wearing nothing but a hat. Mariah’s follow-up to The Emancipation of Mimi is slated to drop in April, and the album cover and title have allegedly leaked. Called That Chick, Mariah stated in early January that she hadn’t yet arrived at an album title and hinted that it might be “the exact opposite” of Mimi. British site Discopop alleges they got a listen, and revealed track titles like “Migrate,” “Lovin’ You Long Time,” “Touch My Body” and “Bye Bye.”
Tutus, slippers and tights — they’re not the first things that come to mind when you think of Antwan “Big Boi” Patton of Outkast. But the Boi’s changing that with the ballet he’ll be performing in on April 10th through the 13th in his hometown with the Atlanta Ballet Company. The ballet, big, will feature selections from the Outkast catalog (including “Bombs Over Baghdad” and “The Way You Move”) as well as music from his forthcoming album, with plans to take the show overseas in the Spring.
In an interview with Spin magazine about the project, Big Boi said, “I?ve dated a couple of ballerinas. But I was like, ?That sounds kind of dope ? let?s crank it up.'”
That’s right. Def Leppard — the ’80s hair metallers that rocked arenas around the world — are back with a brand new album, and they’re coming to a city near you. With their latest album Songs From The Sparkle Lounge due out in March, the mighty Lep are hitting the road with fellow rock staples REO Speedwagon and Styx. Can’t wait to see them? Check out VH1 Classic for all your Def Leppard needs.