As the temperatures slowly begin to rise, those comfy layers that have been keeping us warm all winter long will soon drop to our closet floors. With a new season comes a new wardrobe, and who better to advise us on what items are worth spending our hard-earned money on than Jen The Pen?
The Love And Hip Hop star takes pride in having dressed herself all season long, and has a documented knack for mixing high and low pieces to satisfy all budgets. For her weekly contribution to the VH1 blog, Jen aims to help us navigate the pretty pastels and stackable accessories permeating store windows this spring. As always, take it away, Jen! Read more…
1. BOMBER JACKETI know what you’re thinking, “Really, Jen?” Yes, ladies! A bomber jacket! And let me tell you why: a bomber jacket is unexpected, and you never want to be just a “basic chick” out here. Match a great patterned bomber with either an oversized or fitted tee, a skinny jean or fitted pair of sweatpants (find these at Zara), a bold pump, and you’re out the door looking everything but basic!
Try: thisiscorey.com for the “Francine Bomber Jacket” ($196) or Zara for the “Embroided Bomber Jacket” ($199)
2. PRINTED TWILL PANTSNYC high fashion designer Derek Lam teamed up with Kohl’s to bring us an affordable collection of cute tops, dresses, and pants. All the pieces are bold; graphic prints which debut in Kohl’s in April. I’m a huge fan of Derek Lam and the twill printed pants are the perfect from work to happy hour attire. And for only $54 you can’t go wrong!
3. LADIES STYLED FLOPPY FEDORA
We all have those days when we just don’t know what to put on. What’s great about a hat like this is it does all the work. To me it’s the perfect statement piece; it’s the last thing you put on, and the first thing people see. I purchase all my hats from New York’s oldest hat shop, JJ Hat Center, located at 310 5th Ave. Tell owner Marc Williamson that Jen The Pen sent you!
Whether it’s a shiny bag, shoe, or piece of jewelry, anything metallic is sure to amp up any outfit.
5. A BOLD AND BRIGHT CLUTCHRight now I am totally loving the Celine-Inspired Clutch by Zara, and with a price tag of $35.90, I’m loving it even more! It comes in three different colors: brown, black and two-toned. Match it up with a pair of wide leg pants and Calvin Klein’s $119 “Valinda” suede and mesh heels, and you will be screaming “sophistication.”
6. KAREN WALKER SUNGLASSESThese need no explanation; they are the type of sunnies you love at first sight. Visit sites like Shopbop.com, eyeheartglasses.com and eyegoodies.com for pricing.
7. JUNE AMBROSE SHOES FOR HSN.COMPrices range from $99-109. The “Turner” shoe–in both nude and blue–is my favorite; I’m envisioning wearing these with an amazing tan and an above the knee leather skirt. June, if you’re reading this, I’m a size 7!
8. #WRISTCANDYThere’s nothing more popular right now then stacking your bracelets. Sites like brooklynjewelgasm.com and crownandglitter.com have made hashtagging your #WristCandy on Instagram an art form.
9. WERKKK A GRAY SWEATSHIRT
The bigger the better! Whether you dress it up, rock it out; play it up or casual it out. This is a staple piece you should have hanging in your closet this spring.
10. AND FINALLY, NO LOOK IS COMPLETE WITHOUT… A CLEAN MANICURELeave those long pointy nails in the winter and lets get back to a clean gel manicure. I’m into lavenders and pastels right now; the colors make your hands look tan and we all know there’s nothing I love more then a good tan!
For all your style questions or if you’re an emerging designer who would like me to feature your stuff email me at email@example.com
Jen The Pen