Prince died of an opioid overdose, according to a Thursday (June 2) report from The Minneapolis Star Tribune .
The music legend passed away on April 21 at 57 years old in his Minnesota Paisley Park estate. He was found unresponsive in an elevator inside the expansive property.
The opioid connection is particularly eerie, because The Minneapolis Star Tribute reports Prince was scheduled to see an opioid addiction doctor the day after he passed away. According to Billboard, the doctor sent his son to check on Prince because he couldn’t make it to Paisley Park. It was the doctor’s son who found Prince and called the authorities.
Ever since Prince passed away, stories have emerged detailing his apparent drug abuse issue, including an alleged addiction to painkillers–particularly Percocet.
We will give you more information as this story unfolds.
Watch Prince talk about his collaborators in this throwback VH1 video.