If you didn’t know that most pop performers’ vocals are technologically modified on their albums and during their performances, then congratulations on keeping your music innocence intact this long. It seems these days that the art of pure singing has transformed into over-the-top costumes and the smoke and mirrors. Having talent doesn’t always mean vocally. Just ask Britney Spears…sometimes.
Not everybody can simultaneously dance and sing like the Queen Bey, and blow us away by being ***Flawless while doing so. But the problem is, we’re so used to hearing artists like Selena Gomez, Kesha and Lil Wayne in their auto-tuned tracks, that we probably wouldn’t even know it was them if we heard what their raw voices sounded like. Lucky for you, we’ve tracked down rare occurrences these pop stars sang with no help from a computer and ranked the vocals from amazing to borderline excruciating. Some will shock you, some will confuse you and some will really make you wonder what the hell you’ve been listening to all these years. Prepare to be amazed.
1 . Rihanna – “Stay,” Saturday Night Live, 2012
Don’t let RiRi’s clubby tracks fool you, girl can sang.
2. T-Pain – “Buy You A Drank,” The Arsenio Hall Show, 2014
Step 1: Cue this video at 2:20 Step 2: Listen to T-Pain actually sing Step 3: Fall off your chair
3. Nicki Minaj – “Save Me,” Toyota Center Houston, TX, 2011
When this Young Money goddess isn’t rapping, barking, growling, or a combination of the three, you’d be surprised to know she actually has a decent set of pipes.
4. Demi Lovato – “Give Your Heart a Break,” People’s Choice Awards, 2012
Demi, we know you’re angry, but why are you yelling at us? #Struggling
5. Kesha – “Dead Flowers,” 2010
The auto-tune queen has vocal chords! And you know what? She doesn’t sound half bad…
6. Lil Wayne – “How To Love,” H&H Courtyard Hollywood, CA, 2012
What are our ears even hearing right now? This is the rawest we may have ever heard this rapper’s voice and after intensive investigations on possible clones or long lost twins, we have concluded this is indeed Lil Wayne.
7. Miley Cyrus – “The Climb,” On Air with Ryan Seacrest, 2009
Before Miley prided herself on being a weed obsessed exhibitionist, she was just a little ol’ yodeler. Not a very good one, but she was one indeed.
8. Selena Gomez – “Naturally,” 2010
Not terrible, but it’s a good thing Ms. Gomez sure is pretty.
9. Jennifer Lopez – “If You Had My Love,” San Jose HP Pavilion, 2012
After watching J.Lo break it down on the dance floor, we think we prefer her other assets to her voice.
10. Britney Spears – “Silent Night,” Rockefeller Centre, 1999
Almost 15 years ago since the first and last time Britney didn’t lipsync. Dying sheep, whining or talent? That’s for you to decide.
11. Fergie – “Big Girls Don’t Cry,” Chase Bank Concert, 2011
We know Fergie will make them boys go loco, but her voice may or may not be one of the reasons why.
12. Katy Perry, “Roar,” NRJ Awards, 2013
Then there was the time Katy Perry was clearly attempting to lip sync as she was was performing to the wrong part of the song, was interrupted and asked to start over. Then she really sang, but to make up for the humiliation? Or to make us feel more uncomfortable?
13. Carly Rae Jepsen – “Call Me Maybe, Kidd Kraddick in the Morning, 2012
And she was nominated for a Grammy. We repeat: a Grammy.