They hang with celebs, they’re insanely talented and in their own way, they’re each rockstars. Do you know Maroon 5 outside of Adam Levine? If not, we suggest you get acquainted because this is a group of some pretty kick ass dudes who we wouldn’t mind rolling with either. Today, the band releases their newest album, V, and we’ve put together a guide to help you learn what these guys are all about and allow you to get in on the celebratory fun.
20 years ago, Adam Levine and a small group of his musician friends formed the band Kara’s Flowers and rehearsed in garages. Over the years, they’ve lost members, gained members and ultimately became the group we know and love as Maroon 5. Needless to say, garage rehearsals no more. They’re cool with not being center stage as the group lead, but don’t underestimate, because these guys definitely have it going on. PJ is signed to Lil Wayne’s YMCM label, Matt has played with Gavin DeGraw and Chicago and James is even part of another band (how does this man sleep?) They’re romantics, foodies and party boys. Get to know the guys of Maroon 5 and soon you’ll see why you would want to hang with them, too.
Jesse Carmichael, Keyboardist
Hometown: Boulder, Colorado
Marital Status: Sorry ladies, he’s taken (but not married!)
- Jesse was part of Kara’s Flowers, a group with Maroon 5 members Adam Levine, Mickey Madden and former member Ryan Dusick.
- He likes dogs.
- He went to Five Towns College in Long Island, NY with Adam Levine for two years before they returned to California to pursue music.
- Jesse produced Sara Bareilles’ 2004 song “Come Round Soon.”
- He temporarily left the band in 2012 to pursue music and healing arts, but returned in 2014 to record V.
- He’s a foodie.
- And although he’s not married, he’s happily taken.
Mickey Madden, Bassist
Hometown: Austin, Texas
Marital Status: In a relationship
- In junior high school, Mickey used to play with Adam Levine and Jesse Carmichael in garages (aww).
- He’s a vegan and loves animals.
- You may remember him as this guy with the long hair.
- After Kara’s Flowers broke up, he briefly went to UCLA.
- He likes to dress up. And drink. And sometimes both at the same time.
- As far as we know, he’s in a relationship.
James Valentine, Lead Guitarist
Hometown: Lincoln, Nebraska
Marital Status: In a relationship… we think
- James and John Mayer go way back, and he even played guitar on a few tracks on Continuum.
- His sister, Amanda Valentine, was a contestant on the 11th and current (13th) season of Project Runway.
- James is also a guitarist for the indie-pop band JJAMZ.
- He prefers not being the lead singer and has said, “I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with all of the s–t that [Adam Levine] has to deal with.”
- Last time we saw him cuddle up with girlfriend Ali Tamposi was about six months ago.
PJ Morton, Keyboardist/Backing Vocalist
Hometown: New Orleans, Louisiana
Marital Status: Married
- PJ is on Lil Wayne’s Young Money label.
- In 2012, he released his first solo EP Following My First Mind
- PJ’s wife is Kortni Morton.
- He joined Maroon 5 in 2010.
- He adores his family.
Matt Flynn, Dummer
Hometown: Woodstock, New York
Marital Status: Married
- Matt replaced Maroon 5’s original drummer Ryan Dusick.
- He has played drums for Chicago, The B-52s and Gavin DeGraw.
- Matt briefly studied at San Diego State University.
- He’s married with two kids.
- He has also played on K’naan’s album Troubadour.