Some of our favorite songs are truly great, until they’re not. Sadly, we can thank other artists who have beaten them to death for that.
Some rock songs are meant to stay in the rock genre. Some ballads are meant to remain as such. Unfortunately, singers, even legendary ones, haven’t quite received the memo. If hearing “I Want Candy” makes you want to throw sharp objects across the room, the feeling is completely normal. John Lennon’s “Imagine” is a classic that everyone in the world decided to cover, making us want to cry, and not in the good way. Plus, if you think you can upstage John, you’re bonkers. There is nothing more depressing than a classic tune turned excruciating at the thought of hearing it one more time. Here are 15 songs that have been covered so many times, hearing them again kind of makes us want to cry inside.
1. “Make You Feel My Love” Owned By: Billy Joel, Ruined By: Kelly Clarkson, Garth Brooks
Adele, as well as Bob Dylan, who wrote the song, also recorded their own versions, and since these two can do no wrong, we still ask all other recording artists to please stop it already. Why would you want to follow these two and Billy, anyway?
2. “Emotion” Owned By: Samantha Sang, Ruined By: Destiny’s Child, Bee Gees
Yes, we know Beyonce is Queen, however this cover was anything but royalty.
3. “Just My Imagination” Owned By: The Temptations, Ruined By: Gwyneth Paltrow and Babyface, The Rolling Stones
When a classic soul song is turned rock and then pop (by an actress) this is when you know it’s time for it to go away.
4. “Brown Eyed Girl” Owned By: Van Morrison, Ruined By: Jimmy Buffet
You do you, Jimmy. Stick to your “Margaritaville,” tropical jams and let everyone take care of the rest. Except cover this song again.
5. “Landslide” Owned By: Fleetwood Mac, Ruined By: The cast of Glee, Dixie Chicks
Damn Gwyneth, again?! Why you gotta do Fleetwood Mac like that?
6. “Satisfaction (I Can’t Get No)” Owned By: The Rolling Stones, Ruined By: Britney Spears, Devo
Telling Brit “how tight her skirt should be” really got her angry, guys. Mick Jagger totally felt the same way…
7. “I Will Always Love You” Owned By: Whitney Houston, Ruined By: The cast of Glee
Although Dolly Parton was the writer and original singer of the ballad but Whitney’s killer voice is what made it so iconic. Everyone else can stop trying now.
8. “Hallelujah” Owned By: Jeff Buckley, Ruined By: Bon Jovi, Alexandra Burke
Why, Bon Jovi, why?!?!
9. “I Want Candy” Owned By: Bow Wow Wow, Ruined By: Good Charlotte, Aaron Carter
Yes, sadly, this song was covered by a teenage boy. And we let that slide. But when we saw synchronized prom dancing to Good Charlotte’s version in Not Another Teen Movie, that’s when we knew it must be put to rest.
10. “Mickey” Owned By: Toni Basil, Ruined By: B*witched
Bring It On was epic, but this addition to it’s soundtrack was not.
11. “Come Together” Owned By: The Beatles, Ruined By: Michael Jackson, Aerosmith
You just don’t try to duplicate The Beatles. Ever. Even after buying their cataloge, the King of Pop couldn’t compete.
12. “Love Song” Owned By: The Cure, Ruined By: Adele, 311
Adele, we clearly love your covers, but we think Starbucks is set with stock music for the next 932 years.
13. “I Love Rock ’n’ Roll” Owned By: Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Ruined By: Britney Spears
Double offender! No amount of skin showed or sexy dance moves in this video could make up for the fact that this was just a disgrace for mankind.
14. “Imagine” Owned By: John Lennon, Ruined By: Madonna, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Diana Ross
This is one of the greatest songs of all time. When it was sung by John and only John. Then everyone and their mom started covering it and we’re sad to say we just can’t imagine listening to it anymore.
15. “Me And Bobby McGee” Owned By: Janis Joplin, Ruined By: Grateful Dead
Anyone would argue that Janis Joplin completely dominated this track even original singer Kris Kristofferson. But then Grateful Dead covered it too and it all just became way too much.
[Photo Credit: Getty Images]