The Great Gatsby features one of the most iconic pool scenes in entertainment history -and if that’s a spoiler, well then shame on you for not doing your 9th grade English homework. Baz Luhrmann’s big screen adaptation of the F. Scott Fitzgerald classic opens wide this Friday (!), and just like Gatsby, our relationship with pools has been a mix of both pleasure and pain. Yes, it’s a rare and awesome chance to get a first-hand glimpse at seriously fit people putting their fab physique on display in revealing swimwear. But then it gets weird when people ask us why we’re swimming with our shirt on. “I’m cold” doesn’t work as well as you’d think. But in honor of the film’s release, we’ve decided to count down ten movie pool scenes where no one keeps their shirt on!
10. Swimfan (2002)
Danger is a crucial component to any good pool scene, and this sultry moment from the teen’s answer to Fatal Attraction definitely packs it in. Erica Christensen’s unhinged Madison lures Jesse Bradford’s Ben into a pool with some hardcore flirting, and they start to go “adult swimming.” It’s definitely hot, but something in her eyes doesn’t seem quite right. Her obsession that follows kind of confirms this for us.
Temperature: 78 degrees
9. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983)
This classic clip centers around supermodel Christie Brinkley as the mythic Girl In The Red Ferrari. She has inexplicably taken a liking to the bumbling station-wagon-driving father Clark Griswold, and after sharing a highway for a few days manages to bump into him at the same hotel one night. Is she stalking him or something? Supermodel skinny dipping soon follows, and she urges Clark to follow suit. That’s when things take a less-sexy turn. The only thing working against the scene it is Chevy Chase awkwardly dad-ing all over it. But it’s undeniably hilarious.
Temperature: 83 degrees
8. The Girl Next Door (2004)This one’s also a little sweet and a little sour. Yes, it’s pretty awesome how Elisha Cuthbert teaches Emile Hirsch how to walk on the wild-side and go pool hopping around the neighborhood. And the stripping doesn’t hurt, either. But it’s significantly less cool when he realizes he’s about to get busted in the pool of his high school principal. So, in the end, it’s a mixed blessing for poor Em, similar to poor Chevy’s fate in the Vacation clip. Is there any man won’t risk embarrassment and punishment when they see a gorgeous woman about to skinny dip? Nope.
Temperature: 87 degrees
7. How To Lose Friends & Alienate People (2008)
We never really understood exactly why Megan Fox jumped into a swimming pool during a crowded and swanky party while she was wearing a clearly expensive piece of haute couture. But then again, does she need a reason?
Temperature: 90 degrees
6. Summer Catch (2001)
This one’s kind of a two-for-one deal. Way back before she was Mrs. Timberlake, Jessica Biel was a teen movie queen brought to us from heaven. Seventh Heaven, that is. This semi-forgotten teen flick with Freddie Prinze Jr. features the obligatory “emerging from the pool in slow-motion” introductory scene. And then, of course, a spontaneous rain-inspired skinny dip. Sick of ’em by now? Didn’t think so.
Temperature: 93 degrees
5. Showgirls (1995)
Holy NSFW, Batman! Elisabeth Berkley did her best to make sure her squeaky clean Saved By The Bell past was dead and buried with this mid ’90s train-wreck, which features a pool scene that is almost grotesquely raunchy. We’re so excited, but we’re so….scared. Here’s the clip, but you have been warned.
Temperature: 95 degrees
4. Something’s Got To Give (1962)
No, this is NOT the Jack Nicholson/Diane Keaton romcom! It’s probably the most obscure entry on this list, considering the fact that this remake of My Favorite Wife was never completed. Marilyn Monroe’s increasingly erratic behavior lead to her getting the axe from the director, relegating this truly epic skinny dip pool scene to the cutting floor of history for several decades. Thank god for YouTube.
Temperature: 96 degrees
3. Lauren Canyon (2002)
Errr, so there’s a threesome in a pool, and one of the participants is Kate Beckinsale. That’s pretty much all you need to know in order to enjoy this (literally) steamy scene.
Temperature: 97 degrees
2. Wild Things (1998)Yet another two-for-one deal! Like Summer Catch, we get introduced to Denise Richards’ character via slow-mo poll-emerging scene.
And then of course, the famous kissing scene between Richards and co-star Neve Campbell.
Take your pick over which one is hotter. We’re not going to get in the middle of that battle!
Temperature: 98 degrees
1. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)Arguably the most famous pool scene in history (after Gatsby, of course). Judge Reinhold’s fantasy starring Phoebe Cates has since transcended into legend. Even Family Guy has paid tribute! If you really need a refresher, the complete NSFW clip is right here.
Temperature: Hot Tub
Honorable Mention: Romeo + Juliet (1996)We very nearly included this classic, until we remembered that Claire Danes was like 8 years old (ok, 16) and felt kind of weird about it. So please, hold your angry comments. We could never forget.