Confession: There are times when I forget that the thing you do for a living is what other people do for fun — and then there are times when I forget I’m even working. At the Comic-Con panel for the Veronica Mars this morning, I was pretty glad no one could see my unprofessional tears (happy tears!) in the darkened Hall H as footage of the Kickstarter-funded played. I almost forgot to take notes! But I did, so here are the important things I learned:
1. The movie has a Godfather III theme, according to creator Rob Thomas, even though on their budget, an “Agatha Christie everyone in one house” story would have been easier.
2. All the witty dialogue is there from the start. Kristen Bell said the first line she shot was, “Charming drink names. I can’t decide between a ’beast with two backs’ and a ’donkey punch.’ Do you think they’ll let me order a virgin ’devirginator.’ ”
3. Jason Dohring is still hot. Percy Daggs III and Tina Majorino got wayyyy hotter than they were on the show.
4. We can’t decide who’s funnier: Ryan Hansen or Chris Lowell. Chris showed up wearing a Team Logan shirt (and Jason wore Team Piz), and joked that he almost didn’t want to join the movie cast because people were so angry at him for breaking up Veronica and Logan, the death threats only just stopped. Ryan showed up in a Team Dick shirt. He also joked about growing his “Dick hair” in the footage they aired. Dick jokes always win.
5. Rob wants this movie to be a beginning of something bigger. To that end, they made sure you don’t have to have seen the show to get the movie. Characters like Duncan and Beaver won’t be mentioned, and all you need to know is that Veronica worked as a private investigator when she was in high school. But there will be plenty to please fans anyway.
6. Enrico Colantoni and Francis Capra are very sweet, emotional men. Francis thanked the fans for bringing back his “family.” Enrico pulled at our heartstrings as he described the moment when his daughter first saw him play someone else’s dad.
7. Rob Thomas cried when watching and re-watching the first Logan and Veronica kiss on the show. Swoooon.
8. Jamie Lee Curtis has a brief cameo in the movie. She interviews her for a job in the footage we saw.
9. Kristen says her brain and Rob’s have a “cosmic connection” that makes his lines work so well in her mouth.
10. We have not seen enough Logan and Veronica yet. In this preview, or in life.
[Photos: Getty Images]