So, you might be thinking: “Sleepy Hollow? Nope. Don’t need another old-timey-literature/modern mystery mashup in my life.” We thought that too, for a minute. And then we actually watched the first episode of the Fox drama. And yes, that is exactly what it is. But done in with the blend of scary and funny that gets us. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the writers behind the new Star Trek movies and Fringe, and Underworld director Len Wiseman seem to have got it right so far. Here are five things we didn’t realize we’d love about this admittedly kooky show:
1. Funny dialogue. Of course, Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison), who died in the Revolutionary War and just woke up in the 20th century, and Lt. Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), who just saw a headless horseman murder her partner, have serious things to talk about. But then they also have time to discuss the prevalence of Starbucks in the world (“Is there some kind of law?” Ichabod wonders about the coffee chain; “Did you get up to pee?” she asks him about being asleep for 200+ years.
2. Tom Mison is way hotter than anyone named Ichabod has a right to be. And we’re rather looking forward to the possibility of a love triangle between him, Abbie and his not-quite-dead wife, Katrina.
3. The plot has potential. The Book of Revelations certainly has more ookie factor than a Washington Irving short story. And then when you mention that George Washington might be in on the plot to prevent the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse from taking over, you’ve got Masonic conspiracy theory gold on top of scary ax murderers!
4. The pedigree of the showrunners=great guest stars. If John Cho is in episode 1, we’re waiting for Chris Pine and Kate Beckinsale any day now.
5. Orlando Jones as the straightlaced precinct captain makes absolute sense. Maybe he will finally no longer be remembered as the “Make 7Up yours!” guy.