The eyes are the window to the soul. Thus, the eyebrows are the meticulously appointed drapes to the soul, the quirkily delightful valances to the soul, or the haphazard blankets hung with duct tape to the soul. Whatever they may be, eyebrows are important. And television today is replete with this fanciest of face art. So we decided they must be celebrated.
Who will win the coveted Sandy Cohen Award for most valuable eyebrows currently on TV?
8. Nina Whitley, BenchedFirst and foremost, we are so happy to have Eliza Coupe back and she can never leave us again. Next, we love an actor who can play a flawless mix of Type A Perfect and Human Mess Disaster. And no one does it better than Coupe, and her brows are the secret weapon for bringing the whole package together. There’s crazy in those brows. Wonderful crazy.
Watch Coupe share her thoughts on lawyers, cats, Shia LaBeouf, and more.
7. Nick Miller, New GirlNot to take away from the eyebrows themselves — Jake Johnson has very nice eyebrows. What gives them a coveted slot on this list is their necessity to his turtle face. Without eyebrows, there cannot be the next-level pout we’ve come to know and love.
6. Daenerys Targaryen, Game of ThronesDany Targaryen (Emilia Clarke). Mother of dragons. Wearer of flawless gowns. Owner of well-coiffed eyebrows. She rules with justice, without mercy, light and dark reflected by the hairs on her head and the hairs on her forehead.
5. Mellie Grant, ScandalMellie (Bellamy Young) is crushing it this season anyway, but I really love how her eyebrows have maintained their FLOTUS-level elegance even when accessorized by Uggs and two-day-old shirts.
You know who has bad, unworthy brows? Fitz. That’s how you know, guys. That’s how you know.
4. Jane Villanueva, Jane the VirginYou don’t realize until you pay attention to this show and Gina Rodriguez’s fantastic performance just how deeply steeped in eyebrow-acting it truly is. Eyebrow-acting is the best kind. Deserving of all the Eyebrow-Emmys. We would drink their quality browformances right up.
3. Crazy Eyes, Orange is the New BlackThey call her Crazy Eyes — not Crazy Eyebrows. They are perfection. OINTB is resplendent with fantastic eyebrows actually — we just forget because we’re distracted by those sperm monstrosities on Alex’s face.
2. Pretty much the entire cast of How To Get Away with Murder
This is a beautiful cast, carved from glory and wonder, each and every one of them. But the eyebrow game? The eyebrow game is strong.The head of the brow pack is clearly Laurel. Her eyebrows are fraught with concern and it’s how you know she cares. Then there’s Michaela and Connor. Their eyebrows wear masks of strength, hiding pain and all kinds of stuff.
Bonnie’s eyebrows are full of secrets. Because Bonnie has done…something. Off-camera past somethings we don’t know about yet.Bonnie’s eyebrows are sorry. Then there’s Annalise herself. And her eyebrows were never better until they were wiped off.
Best use of eyebrows ever.
1. Clara Oswald, Doctor WhoIn addition to being sassy, snarky and made of adorable, Clara “Oswin” Oswald has the best eyebrows on Doctor Who. This is saying something.
Clara has sadly bid Who adieu, but she’s left an indelible mark on our lives and upper-face quadrants. Thanks for everything, Clara.