It’s not unusual to gain high expectations about your high school career from movies. Obviously, children of the newer generations should assume not everyone would bust out into song and dance a la High School Musical — the same way pre-teens during the release of Grease accepted their sad, songless fate. But that doesn’t mean people don’t fall for the other myths movies perpetrate. The biggest offender? ’80s movies. Here are 10 things classic films made you expect from high school.
1. You’ll be in detention with someone from each social clique.And you’ll realize, hey, we’re not so different after all.
2. Someday, someone will hold up a boombox to woo you.Except, boomboxes don’t really exist anymore, so, probably not.
3. You, or a friend, will realize they’re secretly a witch.And you’ll both finally be hip.
4. Your high school crush will finally admit their feelings for you.And there will be cake!
5. You’ll skip school, see your whole city, and even sing on a float in a parade.But you’ll probably really just skip school to watch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off again.
6. The hot new student will sweep you off your feet.
But hopefully he won’t have plans of murdering all your popular friends.
7. Someone in your high school will create human life.Not the Weird Science way, just the natural way.
8. A wise old man will teach you skills that will unlock your inner talents.And, finally, bullies will no longer be an issue.
9. A short haircut would look super cute on you.And help you sneak into the jock subgroup undetected.
10. Pizza is one of the most important aspects of life.Well, that one is true.
[Photo Credit: Paramount Pictures]
Don’t forget to tune into VH1 now for our Throwback Thanksgiving movie marathon!