Because being an adult means we can no longer throw on a bed sheet and demand free candy from our neighbors, Halloween has become more of an ordeal as we get older. We want a costume that stands out from the sea of sexy mice and “bad” (in a good way) female police officers, which can require serious time and thought. When it comes to Halloween ideas, we love nothing more to draw from pop culture–and so do celebrities! But like Julianne Hough and other blackface blunders have proven, not everything was meant to be copied solely for holiday party entry.
We know you might be tempted to go as one or more slightly controversial pop culture figures this year (it’s a conversation starter!), but trust us: don’t. We have your best interest in mind.
Read on for our list of costumes ideas to avoid in 2013.
1. THE BREAKING BAD NAZISUncle Jack and his team of Aryan-loving criminals played a SPOILER huge role in Season 5, by testing the limits of Walter White’s power. Yes, they made Vince Gilligan disciples realize that there still are people on this planet who are more evil than Heisenberg, but…they’re Nazis. No Halloween night will end well if you go out sporting visible swastika tattoos or suggest Hitler was misunderstood to a room full of revelers who are simply looking for the king in a room full of fun sizes.
2. AMANDA BYNES AND HER DOGA lot has happened to Bynes this year, and it’s likely that there will be more than a few wig-wearing wannabes walking the streets of New York this week. But remember when she tried to “clean” her dog with gasoline back in July? The topic of Bynes and the public’s fixation with her behavior is controversial enough. So be Bynes if you must, but please oh please leave her little dog out of it. Unless you don’t mind answering to PETA.
3. JOHNNY DEPP AS TONTO IN THE LONE RANGER…because no one will see you. Also, Depp’s casting as a Native American character has long been divisive. It’s probably just a good idea to skip this one in favor of being the 24th Miley Cyrus at your party.
4. SELENA GOMEZ AT THE MTV MOVIE AWARDSCompared to some of her peers, the former Disney star has remained controversy-free in her 21 years. Even playing a collegiate thief alongside James Franco failed to knock her from her off her Future America’s Sweetheart perch. But Selena disappointed audiences when she performed “Come And Get It” in April, wearing a Hindu bindi on her forehead. The traditional feature was deemed insensitive for it’s use as an accessory in a “seductive” performance, and religious groups demanded Gomez apologize. While criticism of cultural appropriation overshadowed the fact that she’s a shaky live performer, there are plenty of other Gomez costumes to draw from that will keep you out of hot water (and allow you to wear a bikini).
5. CHRIS BROWNDoing or saying anything that celebrates Chris Brown is never a good look. And after the assault charges stemming from a fight in D.C. over the weekend? Abort, abort!
[Photo Credit: Splash News, Getty Images]