If Lauren Conrad is known as the girl who didn’t go to Paris, Spencer Pratt will always be reality TV’s public enemy No. 1. On The Hills, his insane antics actually scared us, but beneath the villainous exterior was just a normal guy who was madly in love. He made himself famous by saying and doing the most ridiculous things ever: becoming creepily obsessed with crystals, dressing as an old man at The Hills finale. Between his bizarre actions and his wife, Heidi Montag’s, extreme plastic surgery over the years, “Speidi” became a worldwide obsession simply for being one crazy-ass couple. At this point, most of us thought his soul was basically a black, dark dungeon of nothingness.
Since The Hills wrapped in 2010, the couple has remained happily married. The two even helped blow the lid off of the show, saying they went to extremes for their “characters” and that the whole thing was scripted. Recently, though, they’ve come back down to Earth, admitting to have blown through their $10 million fortune and being content with the quiet, normal life they now lead.
Seeing a calmer side of Spencer brings us back to the times when he first popped up on The Hills as the charmer who was trying to sweep Heidi off her feet. When you stop looking at him as the show’s monster, you’d be surprised to see how sweet he actually was.
1. The time he surprised Heidi with a bouquet of roses and declared his love with a funny jig.
Isn’t this every girl’s dream and more? If the red roses don’t say love, maybe a happy little dance will do the trick. We know Lauren Conrad hated Spencer for 3,298 reasons, but he did treat Heidi like a princess.
2. The time he stood by Heidi during her plastic surgery fiasco, even though he disagreed.“It’s hard for me because I know how much I love her and the world should love her that much,” he said in a recent interview. After Heidi received global criticism for her extreme plastic surgery, Spencer (who didn’t force the surgeries on her) support her decision regardless of how he felt. In sickness and in health, right?
3. The time he was on “Team Heidi” during a pregnancy scare.
“Whatever you wanna do, I’m not gonna tell you what to do with your body and your life. I’m here… It’s a decision you need to make. I’ll go either way,” he told her in the clip above. When Spencer and Heidi first started dating on The Hills, she threw this curveball at him (even though she wasn’t pregnant- WTF?!) but he surely passed her test by selflessly supporting which ever decision she made.
4. The time he kept his bromance with Brody Jenner alive.“Brody’s the best friend I could ever dream of having. He knew everything was manipulated and I got so deep into my character and there was no turning back,” he recently told Hollywood Life. Regardless of the on-again, off-again status of these BFFs, the two went into the show as best friends, and Spencer has made it clear he wants to keep it that way by remaining loyal, holding onto his friendship, and giving Brody his props.
5. The time he stopped a ferris wheel to do a proper marriage proposal.
He even asked for Heidi’s dad’s permission. Even if it was his third attempt, is this a fairy tale proposal, or what?
6. The time he admitted he was ashamed of his actions on The Hills.“I’m pretty much ashamed of everything I’ve done in front of a camera… I look back on it all and I’m embarrassed,” Spencer said. On E!’s 2013 special After Shock: Heidi & Spencer, Spencer was man enough to own up to all the wrong he did on the show and allowed us to see him as we never had before: humble. He let the fame get to his head, which was a human mistake he manned up to.
7. The time he surprised Heidi with the “babies” she always wanted.
Two adorable puppy dogs. If you can come up with a better birthday gift, you let us know.
8. The time he was considerate in taking his future children into account.“I’d have a kid if there was no Google or YouTube,” he explained on After Shock: Heidi & Spencer. Spencer also admitted that he wouldn’t want his future kids seeing their father portrayed as the monster he was on TV. And we respect that.
9. The time he defended how Heidi dressed on The Hills.
“I love how you dress, you look amazing, everyday,” Spencer told his girlfriend. On the show, Spencer went after one of Heidi’s coworkers after he made an offensive comment on her wardrobe. While he didn’t defend her in the classiest of ways (yes, he chased this guy down the street), we still think it’s a gentleman move. Even if it is the Spencer way.
10. The time he wanted to elope.
“I’m just madly obsessed with you… You’re just my angel,” he told her on The Hills. Even though his friends were still in their partying phase, Spencer was so in love with Heidi that he was just “ready to be married.” The way he looked at her (and still does) says it all.
[Photo Credit: Getty, MTV]