The pressure of celebrity has got to be pretty immense, and sometimes famous folks can crack under the pressure. Symptoms can range from a few ill-advised tweets, all the way on up to a full scale nuclear meltdown of career-crippling capacity! Regardless of the size, these blowups are always sure to land in the headlines. Whether funny, sad, or just plain crazy, we’ve had some doozys in this past year. Head down below for the 15 most epic celeb meltdowns of 2013!
15. Kanye WestOf COURSE this list had to be blessed by Yeezy, the patron saint of meltdowns. Kanye West did NOT take kindly to Jimmy Kimmel spoofing his interview with the BBC in September, and took to Twitter to make sure the world knew it!
“JIMMY KIMMEL IS OUT OF LINE TO TRY AND SPOOF IN ANY WAY THE FIRST PIECE OF HONEST MEDIA IN YEARS,” the epic all-caps rant began. “JIMMY KIMMEL, I DON’T TAKE IT AS A JOKE…. YOU DON’T HAVE SCUM BAGS HOPPING OVER FENCES TRYING TO TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR DAUGHTER.” Things just went downhill from there, with West claiming that Kimmel was a “manipulative media motherf—er,” didn’t get enough “good p—y,” and that ex-girlfriend Sarah Silverman was way funnier. Low blows! Luckily, Kimmel was able to convince the rapper to appear on his show and bury the hatchet.
14. Bret MichaelsThe ’80s rocker and VH1 reality hero took an unexpected tumble when he became the first cast member Donald Trump booted from Celebrity Apprentice: All-Stars back in March. Granted, Trump probably isn’t the most gentle and sensitive of souls, but insiders were reportedly shocked by the extent of Michaels’ bummer.
“Bret was crying and totally distraught after he was fired,” a source told RadarOnline. “He couldn’t stop crying and even the producers were trying to comfort him. No one expected him to have a meltdown like that.”
13. Lil WayneThe folks at DirecTV tapped Weezy to appear at their annual Celebrity Beach Bowl flag football match last February. That was their mistake. But then a clumsy cameraman made the error of accidentally bumping into the rapper during the post-game trophy presentation. This caused Lil Wayne to explode, and the camera catches him being held by back by two team mates while screaming “Look at me, motherf—-r. Look at me when you apologize.”
It got much worse when the same camera guy was responsible for taping Lil’s interview a short while later. Needless to say, he was not ready to talk football, and was prepared to storm off the field. “One of these camera dudes just pushed me just now,” he raged. “And I don’t like to be touched by people I don’t tell to touch me so… I’m gonna get out of the building because if I touch somebody, I go to jail because they’re not the color of me. They’re not the same color I am, so you know how that go. But, to them f–k you.”
12. Gucci ManeMane is no stranger to controversy in court and on social media, but he outdid himself on September 9th when he unleashed a Twitter tirade of biblical proportions. No one is completely sure what sparked his 30-message rant, but we’re guessing it was trouble with showbiz backstabbing. “Every 1 n the industry has a hidden agenda every person let greed n pride conquer them its sad but I been in jail so much it humbled me,” it began, before descending into semi coherent disses against Drake, 2 Chainz, Rick Ross, Young Jeezy, T.I., Frenchie, 808 Mafia, Yo Gotti, Waka Flocka, Atlantic Records and so many others. He also boasted of threesomes with Nicki Minaj, Tyga’s girlfriend Blac Chyna, and affairs with Ciara, Monica and Taraji P. Henson. Ooof.
By the next day he had released a song entitled “Stealing,” featuring more slams leveled at T.I., Young Jeezy, and Yo Gotti. We guess that got it all out of his system, because soon he claimed that his Twitter had been hacked by his former manager, and before long his entire account was deactivated. Whatever the actual reason, he apologized to fans and admitted that he was seeking treatment for an addiction to cough syrup.
11. Reese Witherspoon
10. Sinead O’Connor
9. Lance ArmstrongThe 315-time Tour De France champion (approx.) and beloved sports icon had his world crumble around him this last fall with revelations that he lied for years about taking performance enhancing drugs. He was stripped of all of his cycling honors, lost sponsorships, faced a host of lawsuits, and banned from the sport for life!While this was more of a long, slow decline rather than a “meltdown,” his downfall was crystalized during his infuriating two-part interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which he failed to rack up a scintilla of sympathy with his mechanical and unemotional confession. Admitting to the lies and mudslinging, he didn’t seem in any way contrite or sorry for his behavior, and instead tried to explain it away with the old “everybody’s doing it” defense. His chance at salvaging any piece of his legacy seemed to crash and burn in front of us.
8. Justin Bieber